Walking route in Canton de Luxembourg

Visit Canton de Luxembourg's top attractions in this 1.9 hour itinerary. Cercle municipal, Bock, Palais Grand Ducal and all other sights were never that easy to visit in this well planned 1.9 hour Canton de Luxembourg itinerary.

Route type Route distance Route time
Walking 7.8 km 1.9 hour

Key attractions

Route itinerary

  1. Walk 250 m 3 minutes

    Musée national d'histore et d'art Luxembourg Museum

    The National Museum of History and Art (Luxembourgish: Nationalmusée fir Geschicht a Konscht, French: Musée national d'histoire et d'art, German: Nationalmuseum für Geschichte und Kunst), abbreviated to MNHA, is a museum located in Luxembourg City, in southern Luxembourg. It is dedicated to displaying artworks and artefacts from all epochs of Luxembourg history. The museum is situated in Fishmarket, the historic heart of the city, in the Ville Haute quarter. == History == The first proposal for such a museum was made during the French occupation of the Revolutionary Wars, when Luxembourg was annexed into the département of Forêts. However, the museum was never opened, despite the expropriation of a number of artefacts from the church.

    Read more
  2. Walk 180 m 2 minutes

    Palais Grand Ducal Building

    The Grand Ducal Palace (Luxembourgish: Groussherzogleche Palais, French: Palais grand-ducal, German: Großherzogliches Palais) is a palace in Luxembourg City, in southern Luxembourg. It is the official residence of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, and where he performs most of his duties as head of state of the Grand Duchy. == History == The building was first the city hall of Luxembourg from 1572 to 1795, the seat of the prefecture of the Département des Forêts in 1795, and then the headquarters of the Luxembourg Government in 1817. From 1817, the palace became the residence of the Governor, the representative of the Dutch Grand Dukes. As such, it was used by Prince Henry, during his time as Lieutenant-Representative of Luxembourg.

    Read more
  3. Walk 120 m 1 minute
  4. Walk 110 m 1 minute
  5. Walk 40 m less than minute
  6. Walk 160 m 2 minutes
  7. Walk 180 m 2 minutes
  8. Walk 20 m less than minute

    Cercle municipal Building

    The Cercle Municipal or Cercle-Cité is a building in Luxembourg City, in southern Luxembourg, It is located at the eastern end of the Place d'Armes, in the historic central Ville Haute quarter of the city. == History == On a site where there had previously been a building intended as a Cercle littéraire but which finally housed a restaurant by the name of Beim Gréitchen, the city decided to construct a grand administrative building. The design competition launched in 1902 was won in 1904 by Pierre and Paul Funck, a father and son team. The administration started to move into the neo-baroque building in 1909 but the official inauguration was in 1910. On the front, above the balcony, is a frieze depicting the granting of the city charter to Luxembourg City in 1244.

    Read more
  9. Walk 130 m 1 minute
  10. Walk 170 m 2 minutes

    Post Building

    Read more
  11. Walk 300 m 4 minutes

    Monument du souvenir Memorial

    The Monument of Remembrance (French: Monument du souvenir), usually known by the nickname of the Gëlle Fra (Luxembourgish for 'Golden Lady'), is a war memorial in Luxembourg City, in southern Luxembourg. It is dedicated to the thousands of Luxembourgers who volunteered for service in the armed forces of the Allied Powers during both World Wars and the Korean War. The Gëlle Fra is situated in Constitution Square, in the Ville Haute quarter of central Luxembourg City. == Description == The centrepiece of the monument is a 21-metre-tall granite obelisk. Atop of the obelisk stands a gilded bronze statue representing Nike, goddess of victory, or "Queen of Freedom" (Friddenskinnigin in Luxembourgish), holding out a laurel wreath as if placing it upon the head of the nation.

    Read more
  12. Walk 530 m 7 minutes
  13. Walk 110 m 1 minute
  14. Walk 1.0 km 15 minutes
  15. Walk 130 m 1 minute
  16. Walk 650 m 9 minutes
  17. Walk 570 m 8 minutes
  18. Walk 40 m less than minute

    City of Luxembourg: Old Quarters and Fortifications Attraction

    The Fortress of Luxembourg refers to the former fortifications of Luxembourg City, the capital of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, which were mostly dismantled in 1867. The fortress was of great strategic importance for the control of the Left Bank of the Rhine, the Low Countries, and the border area between France and Germany. The fortifications were built gradually over nine centuries, from soon after the city's foundation in the tenth century until 1867. By the end of the Renaissance, Luxembourg was already one of Europe's strongest fortresses, but it was the period of great construction in the 17th and 18th centuries that gave it its fearsome reputation. Due to its strategic location, it became caught up in Europe-wide conflicts between the major powers such as the Habsburg–Valois Wars, the War of the Reunions or the French Revolutionary Wars, and underwent changes in ownership, sieges, and major alterations, as each new occupier—the Burgundians, French, Austrian and Spanish Hapsburgs, and Prussians—made their own improvements and additions.

    Read more
  19. Walk 370 m 5 minutes

    Rham Attraction

    Read more
  20. Walk 370 m 5 minutes
  21. Walk 870 m 13 minutes
  22. Walk 360 m 5 minutes
  23. Walk 270 m 4 minutes
  24. Walk 810 m 12 minutes

    Bock Viewpoint

    The Bock (Luxembourgish: Bockfiels) is a promontory in the north-eastern corner of Luxembourg City's old historical district. Offering a natural fortification, its rocky cliffs tower above the River Alzette which surrounds it on three sides. It was here that Count Siegfried built his Castle of Lucilinburhuc in 963, providing a basis for the development of the town which became Luxembourg. Over the centuries, the Bock and the surrounding defences were reinforced, attacked and rebuilt time and time again as the armies of the Burgundians, Habsburgs, Spaniards, Prussians and French vied for victory over one of Europe's most strategic strongholds, the Fortress of Luxembourg. Warring did not stop until the Treaty of London was signed in 1867, calling for the demolition of the fortifications.

    Read more

Routes nearby