Walking route in Dresden

Visit Dresden's top attractions in this 1.1 hour itinerary. Galerie Neue Meister, Residenzschloss Dresden, Porzellansammlung and all other sights were never that easy to visit in this well planned 1.1 hour Dresden itinerary.

Route type Route distance Route time
Walking 4.6 km 1.1 hour

Key attractions

Route itinerary

  1. Verkehrsmuseum Museum

    The Johanneum is a 16th-century Renaissance building, originally named Stallgebäude because it was constructed as the royal mews. It is located at the Neumarkt in Dresden. Today the Johanneum is home to the Dresden Transport Museum (Verkehrsmuseum Dresden), which displays vehicles of all modes of transport and their history. == History == The Johanneum was built between 1586 and 1590 as the Stallgebäude, the stables of the adjacent Dresden Castle. Both horses and coaches were housed here; two halls on the building’s ground floor provided space for carriages, coaches, and 128 horses.

    Read more
  2. Walk 340 m / 5 minutes
  3. Walk 10 m / less than minute

    Stadtmuseum Dresden Museum

    Dresden City Museum (Stadtmuseum Dresden) is the central city museum for the German city of Dresden. Its displays tell the 800-year story of the city and is the largest and most important of the Dresden State Museums (Städtischen Museen Dresden). Its art collections split off in 2000 to form the Dresden City Art Gallery, but both the Art Gallery and the Museum are housed in Dresden's Landhaus. == Building and surroundings == The Landhaus houses the Dresden City Museum. It was built between 1770 and 1776 and designed by Friedrich August Krubsacius using a mixture of baroque, rococo and classical elements.

    Read more
  4. Walk 400 m / 6 minutes

    Kreuzkirche Church

    The Dresden Kreuzkirche (Church of the Holy Cross) is a Lutheran church in Dresden, Germany. It is the main church and seat of the Landesbischof of the Evangelical-Lutheran Church of Saxony, and the largest church building in the Free State of Saxony. It also is home of the Dresdner Kreuzchor boys' choir. == History == A Romanesque basilica dedicated to Saint Nicholas had existed at the southeastern corner of the Dresden market since the early twelfth century, documented about 1168. A Side-chapel of the Cross, named after a relic bequeathed by the Meissen margravine Constance of Babenberg (1212–1243), was first mentioned in 1319.

    Read more
  5. Walk 560 m / 8 minutes

    Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski Castle

    Taschenbergpalais is a grand hotel in Dresden, Germany. It is located near Dresden Castle and Zwinger. == History == The building was built from 1705 to 1708 by Johann Friedrich Karcher as a palace for countess Anna Constanze von Hoym. It was destroyed in 1945 during World War II, and was rebuilt from 1992–95. It was essentially rebuilt from scratch, and the reconstruction cost 127.8 million euro.

    Read more
  6. Walk 200 m / 3 minutes

    Neues Grünes Gewölbe Museum

    The Grünes Gewölbe (English: Green Vault) in Dresden is a unique historic museum that contains the largest collection of treasures in Europe. Founded by Augustus the Strong in 1723, it features a rich variety of exhibits from the Baroque to Classicism. It is named after the formerly malachite green painted column bases and capitals of the initial rooms. It has some claim to be the oldest museum in the world; it is older than the British Museum, opened in 1759, but the Vatican Museums date their foundation to the public display of the newly excavated Laocoön group in 1506. After the devastation of World War II, the Grünes Gewölbe has been completely restored.

    Read more
  7. Walk 0 m / less than minute

    Historisches Grünes Gewölbe Museum

    The Grünes Gewölbe (English: Green Vault) in Dresden is a unique historic museum that contains the largest collection of treasures in Europe. Founded by Augustus the Strong in 1723, it features a rich variety of exhibits from the Baroque to Classicism. It is named after the formerly malachite green painted column bases and capitals of the initial rooms. It has some claim to be the oldest museum in the world; it is older than the British Museum, opened in 1759, but the Vatican Museums date their foundation to the public display of the newly excavated Laocoön group in 1506. After the devastation of World War II, the Grünes Gewölbe has been completely restored.

    Read more
  8. Walk 30 m / less than minute
  9. Walk 20 m / less than minute

    Kupferstich-Kabinett Museum

    The Kupferstich-Kabinett (English: Collection of Prints, Drawings and Photographs) is part of the Staatliche Kunstsammlungen (State Art Collections) of Dresden, Germany. Since 2004 it has been located in Dresden Castle. == History == Like many of Dresden's notable collections, this print room traces its origins to the Prince-electors of Saxony. The art chamber of the House of Wettin, established around 1560, became an independent museum of prints and drawings in 1720. The collection was expanded in the following centuries.

    Read more
  10. Walk 20 m / less than minute

    Residenzschloss Dresden Castle

    Dresden Castle or Royal Palace (German: Dresdner Residenzschloss or Dresdner Schloss) is one of the oldest buildings in Dresden, Germany. For almost 400 years, it was the residence of the electors (1547–1806) and kings (1806–1918) of Saxony of the Albertine line of the House of Wettin. It is known for the different architectural styles employed, from Baroque to Neo-renaissance. Today, the residential castle is a museum complex that contains the Historic and New Green Vault, the Numismatic Cabinet, the Collection of Prints, Drawings and Photographs and the Dresden Armory with the Turkish Chamber. It also houses an art library and the management of the Dresden State Art Collections.

    Read more
  11. Walk 290 m / 4 minutes

    Porzellansammlung Museum

    The Dresden Porcelain Collection (German: Porzellansammlung) is part of the Staatliche Kunstsammlungen (State Art Collections) of Dresden, Germany. It is located in the Zwinger Palace. == History == The collection was founded in 1715 by the Saxon Prince-Elector Augustus the Strong, and was originally housed in the Japanese Palace (then known as the "Dutch Palace") on the banks of the Elbe. It moved into the Johanneum in 1876. The collection largely survived World War II thanks to evacuation, and moved into its current home in the south part of the Zwinger in 1962.

    Read more
  12. Walk 180 m / 2 minutes

    Mathematisch-Physikalischer Salon Museum

    The Mathematisch-Physikalischer Salon (German: [mateˈmaːtɪʃ fyziˈkaːlɪʃɐ zaˈloːn], Royal Cabinet of Mathematical and Physical Instruments) in Dresden, Germany, is a museum of historic clocks and scientific instruments. Its holdings include terrestrial and celestial globes, astronomical, optical and geodetic devices dating back to the 16th century, as well as historic instruments for calculating and drawing length, mass, temperature and air pressure. The Mathematisch-Physikalischer Salon is part of the Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden (State Art Collections). It is located in the Zwinger. == History == The roots of the Mathematisch-Physikalischer Salon go back to the 15th century.

    Read more
  13. Walk 220 m / 3 minutes

    Zwinger Attraction

    The Zwinger (German: Dresdner Zwinger, IPA: [ˈdʁeːzdnɐ ˈt͡svɪŋɐ]) is a palace in the German city of Dresden, built in Baroque style and designed by court architect Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann. It served as the orangery, exhibition gallery and festival arena of the Dresden Court. The location was formerly part of the Dresden fortress of which the outer wall is conserved. The name derives from the German word Zwinger (an enclosed killing ground in front of a castle or city gate); it was for the cannons that were placed between the outer wall and the major wall. The Zwinger was not enclosed until the Neoclassical building by Gottfried Semper called the Semper Gallery was built on its northern side.

    Read more
  14. Walk 90 m / 1 minute

    Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister Museum

    The Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister (German pronunciation: [ɡəˈmɛːldəɡaləˌʁiː ˈʔaltə ˈmaɪstɐ], Old Masters Gallery) in Dresden, Germany, displays around 750 paintings from the 15th to the 18th centuries. It includes major Italian Renaissance works as well as Dutch and Flemish paintings. Outstanding works by German, French and Spanish painters of the period are also among the gallery's attractions. The Old Masters are part of the Dresden State Art Collections. The collection is located in the Semper Gallery, the gallery wing of the Zwinger.

    Read more
  15. Walk 470 m / 7 minutes

    Sächsischer Landtag Attraction

    The Saxon Landtag (German: Sächsischer Landtag) is a building at the Bernhard von Lindenau Platz in Dresden, which serves as the seat of the landtag (state parliament) of Saxony, the Landtag of the Free State of Saxony. == Overview == Characteristics of the building are the transparency of the glass facades and the exposed steel skeleton construction. The building, which won several awards, was designed by Peter Kulka and built between 1991 and 1993, following the German reunification. A special feature of the Landtagsgebäudes is the Bürgerfoyer, where regular exhibitions take place. == History == After the collapse of East Germany, the Saxon Landtag had its seat from 27 October 1990 to 17 September 1993 in the Dreikönigskirche in Innere Neustadt district.

    Read more
  16. Walk 350 m / 5 minutes

    Semperoper Building

    The Semperoper is the opera house of the Sächsische Staatsoper Dresden (Saxon State Opera) and the concert hall of the Staatskapelle Dresden (Saxon State Orchestra). It is also home to the Semperoper Ballett. The building is located near the Elbe River in the historic centre of Dresden, Germany. The opera house was originally built by the architect Gottfried Semper in 1841. After a devastating fire in 1869, the opera house was rebuilt, partly again by Semper, and completed in 1878.

    Read more
  17. Walk 330 m / 5 minutes

    Münzkabinett Museum

    The Münzkabinett (English: Numismatic Cabinet) is part of the Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden (Dresden State Art Collections). Founded around 1530, it is one of the oldest museums in Dresden. It is located in Dresden Castle. The Münzkabinett is one of the three largest numismatic collections in Germany. Its nearly 300,000 objects include coins from most countries of the world from antiquity to present day, historic and modern medallions, medals and insignia, historic bank notes and bonds, minting dies for coins and medals, seals, models, early forms of money, and minting machines and equipment.

    Read more
  18. Walk 50 m / less than minute

    Friedrich August dem Gerechten Statue

    The Schloßplatz (English: Palace Square or Castle Square) is a city square in the center of Dresden, Saxony, Germany. It gets its name from the Dresdner Schloss, the royal residence of the Electors and Kings of Saxony, which faces the south side of the square. The Schloßplatz is further bounded by the Katholische Hofkirche, the Sächsische Ständehaus, the Georgentor, and Augustus Bridge the over the River Elbe. Dating from the 15th century, the square was destroyed in Bombing of Dresden in World War II. In recent years the buildings surrounding the square have largely been restored so that the area again has a historic character. == Monuments == === King Albert Memorial === A bronze statue of Albert of Saxony by sculptor Max Baumbach was inaugurated in 1906 in front of the Georgentor and was melted in 1945 after being severely damaged.

    Read more
  19. Walk 150 m / 2 minutes

    Brühlsche Terrasse Attraction

    Brühl's Terrace (German: Brühlsche Terrasse) is a historic architectural ensemble in Dresden, Germany. Nicknamed "The Balcony of Europe", the terrace stretches high above the shore of the river Elbe in a city which is quite large as measured by area relative to its half a million inhabitants. Located north of the recently rebuilt Neumarkt Square and the Frauenkirche, is one of the favourite inner-city places of both locals and tourists for walking, people watching, and having a coffee. == History and character == The present-day terrace was part of the city's fortifications, rebuilt upon the 1546/47 Schmalkaldic War at the behest of Elector Maurice of Saxony and his successors Augustus and Christian. The name Brühl's Terrace is a reference to Count Heinrich von Brühl, Minister of Elector Frederick Augustus II, who from 1737 had a city palace with a gallery, a library and adjacent gardens built on the location.

    Read more
  20. Walk 250 m / 3 minutes
  21. Walk 20 m / less than minute
  22. Walk 70 m / 1 minute

    Albertinum Museum

    The Albertinum (German pronunciation: [albɛʁˈtiːnʊm]) is a modern art museum. The sandstone-clad Renaissance Revival building is located on Brühl's Terrace in the historic center of Dresden, Germany. It is named after King Albert of Saxony. The Albertinum hosts the New Masters Gallery (Galerie Neue Meister) and the Sculpture Collection (Skulpturensammlung) of the Dresden State Art Collections. The museum presents both paintings and sculptures from Romanticism to the present, covering a period of some 200 years.

    Read more
  23. Walk 0 m / less than minute

    Galerie Neue Meister Museum

    The Galerie Neue Meister (German pronunciation: [ɡaləˈʁiː ˈnɔʏə ˈmaɪstɐ], New Masters Gallery) in Dresden, Germany, displays around 300 paintings from the 19th century until today, including works from Otto Dix, Edgar Degas, Vincent van Gogh and Claude Monet. The gallery also exhibits a number of sculptures from the Dresden Sculpture Collection from the same period. The museum's collection grew out of the Old Masters Gallery, for which contemporary works were increasingly purchased after 1843. The New Masters Gallery is part of the Staatliche Kunstsammlungen (State Art Collections) of Dresden. It is located in the Albertinum.

    Read more
  24. Walk 180 m / 2 minutes

    Skulpturensammlung Museum

    The Skulpturensammlung (English: Sculpture Collection) is part of the Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden (Dresden State Art Collections). It is located in the Albertinum in Dresden. The collection of the Dresden Skulpturensammlung ranges in age more than five millennia, from classical antiquity to the art of the Renaissance, Baroque, and Expressionism until the 21st century. Sculptures from the likes of Polycletus to Giambologna and Permoser, and from Rodin to Lehmbruck are included in the collection. == History == The origins of the museum can be traced back to the Kunstkammer founded in 1560.

    Read more
  25. Walk 160 m / 2 minutes

    Frauenkirche Church

    The Dresden Frauenkirche (German: Dresdner Frauenkirche, IPA: [ˈfʁaʊənˌkɪʁçə], Church of Our Lady) is a Lutheran church in Dresden, the capital of the German state of Saxony. An earlier church building was Catholic until it became Protestant during the Reformation, and was replaced in the 18th century by a larger Baroque Lutheran building. It is considered an outstanding example of Protestant sacred architecture, featuring one of the largest domes in Europe. It now also serves as a symbol of reconciliation between former warring enemies. Built in the 18th century, the church was destroyed in the bombing of Dresden during World War II. The remaining ruins were left for 50 years as a war memorial, following decisions of local East German leaders.

    Read more


Routes nearby

Please sign in

This action requires you to sign in into your account

Sign in