Walking route in Bremen

Visit Bremen's top attractions in this 1.7 hour itinerary. Martinikirche, Ludwig Roselius Museum, Überseemuseum and all other sights were never that easy to visit in this well planned 1.7 hour Bremen itinerary.

Route type Route distance Route time
Walking 6.9 km 1.7 hour

Key attractions

Route itinerary

  1. Gerhard-Marcks-Haus Museum

    The Gerhard Marcks Museum or Gerhard Marcks House (German: Gerhard Marcks Haus) is a museum in Bremen, Germany, inspired by the work of the sculptor and graphic artist Gerhard Marcks. The museum exhibits contemporary sculpture, including the work of Marcks. == Building history == The Gerhard Marcks Museum's building and Wilhelm Wagenfeld House were built as a pair in 1825. The two buildings were designed to be a gatehouse and a prison located on either side of the road as you approached or left the town. They were both designed by the architect Friedrich Moritz Stamm.

    Read more
  2. Walk 160 m / 2 minutes
  3. Walk 310 m / 4 minutes

    Kunsthalle Bremen Museum

    The Kunsthalle Bremen is an art museum in Bremen, Germany. It is located close to the Bremen Old Town on the "Culture Mile" (German: Kulturmeile). The Kunsthalle was built in 1849, enlarged in 1902 by architect Eduard Gildemeister, and expanded several more times, most notably in 2011. Since 1977, the building has been designated a Kulturdenkmal on Germany's buildings heritage list. The museum houses a collection of European paintings from the 14th century to the present day, sculptures from the 16th to 21st centuries and a New Media collection.

    Read more
  4. Walk 450 m / 6 minutes
  5. Walk 220 m / 3 minutes

    St. Johann Church

    St. John's Church (German: St. Johann) is a Roman Catholic provost church in Bremen. It was built in the fourteenth century as a Franciscan abbey church and has been a listed monument since 1973. == History and architecture == On the site of the modern church in the eastern part of the old city, in Schnoor, the Franciscans erected a monastery with a basilica in 1225.

    Read more
  6. Walk 260 m / 4 minutes

    Landgericht Bremen Attraction

    The Landgericht Bremen (the courthouse of the State of Bremen) is located on the Domsheide in the old town of Bremen, Germany. It was built in the late 19th century in the French Renaissance style and completed in 1906. It has been a listed building since 1992. In addition to the judicial services of the regional court, the building houses sections of the Public Prosecutor's department (Staatsanwaltschaft) and of the district court (Amtsgericht). == History and architecture == The courthouse and remand prison were built from 1891 to 1895 and from 1902 to 1906 by the Oldenburg architects Ludwig Klingenberg (1840–1924) and his partner Hugo Weber.

    Read more
  7. Walk 200 m / 3 minutes
  8. Walk 70 m / 1 minute

    Spuckstein - Gesche Gottfried Memorial

    Gesche Margarethe Gottfried, born Gesche Margarethe Timm (6 March 1785 - 21 April 1831), was a serial killer who murdered 15 people by arsenic poisoning in Bremen and Hanover, Germany, between 1813 and 1827. She was the last person to be publicly executed in the city of Bremen. == Psychiatric Profile == Gottfried was born into a poor family, she had a twin brother, Johann Timm Junior. Her parents, Johann Timm and Gesche Margarethe Timm, always had a preference for her brother. The reasons behind Gottfried's crimes remains unclear and widely debated, but the emotional deprivation she suffered during her childhood and her modus operandi lead to the assumption, that she suffered from Munchausen syndrome by proxy, a very common disorder among female serial killers.

    Read more
  9. Walk 140 m / 2 minutes

    Rathaus Attraction

    The Bremen City Hall is the seat of the President of the Senate and Mayor of the Free Hanseatic City of Bremen. It is one of the most important examples of Brick Gothic architecture in Europe. Since 1973, it is protected by the monument protection act. In July 2004, along with the Bremen Roland, the building was added to the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. == Locality == The city hall stands on northeastern side of the market square in the historic city centre.

    Read more
  10. Walk 30 m / less than minute

    Die Bremer Stadtmusikanten Artwork

    The "Town Musicians of Bremen" (German: Die Bremer Stadtmusikanten) is a popular fairy tale retrieved and recorded by the Brothers Grimm. It was first published in Grimms' Fairy Tales in 1819. It tells the story of four aging domestic animals, who after a lifetime of hard work are neglected and mistreated by their former masters. Eventually, they decide to run away and become town musicians in the city of Bremen. Contrary to the story's title the characters never arrive in Bremen, as they succeed in tricking and scaring off a band of robbers, capturing their spoils, and moving into their house.

    Read more
  11. Walk 20 m / less than minute

    Ratskeller Attraction

    The Bremen Ratskeller is the council wine cellar (German: "Ratskeller") of the Townhall of Bremen. Since it was erected in the year 1405, German wines were stored and sold there. With its history over 600 years the Ratskeller of Bremen is one of the oldest wine cellars of Germany, furthermore the oldest wine barrel of Germany, a wine from Rüdesheim which is dated 1653, is stored here. In the cellar there has long been a traditional tavern and today a large part of it is a gourmet restaurant. == History == Since 1330 the Council of Bremen held the privilege of white wine which was valid until 1815.

    Read more
  12. Walk 30 m / less than minute

    Roland Memorial

    The Bremen Roland is a statue of Roland, erected in 1404. It stands in the market square (Rathausplatz) of Bremen, Germany, facing the cathedral, and shows Roland, paladin of the first Holy Roman Emperor Charlemagne and hero of the Battle of Roncevaux Pass. Roland is shown as protector of the city: his legendary sword (known in chivalric legend as Durendal) is unsheathed, and his shield is emblazoned with the two-headed Imperial eagle. The standing figure is 5.47 m tall, and stands on a 60 cm rostrum. A supporting column, crowned by a baldachin, brings the combined height to 10.21 m.

    Read more
  13. Walk 40 m / less than minute

    Bremer Loch Attraction

    The Bremer Marktplatz (Bremen Market Square) is a square situated in the centre of the Hanseatic City of Bremen, Germany. One of the oldest public squares in the city, it covers an area of 3,484 m2 (37,500 sq ft). It is no longer used as a market place except for the Christmas market and the annual Freimarkt Fair at the end of October. == History and Development == At least parts of the market place had been in function since the age of Charlemagne. Its southern side originally was the bank of river Balge (river), a branch of the Weser and Bremen's first port.

    Read more
  14. Walk 160 m / 2 minutes

    Baumwollbörse Building

    The Bremen Cotton Exchange (German: Bremer Baumwollbörse) was built in 1902 on the market square in Bremen, Germany, to house the offices of the city's cotton exchange founded in 1872. Johann Poppe's Neo-Renaissance facades and carefully finished interiors can still be seen today. == Background == Since 1788, when it first arrived in Bremen on emigrant ships returning from North America, cotton has been an important commodity for the city. In 1894, over a million bales of cotton were unloaded, reaching a maximum of 2.6 million bales in 1927. In 1872, the Committee for the Cotton Trade (Komité für den Baumwollhandel) was created to promote the interests of those involved in the cotton market.

    Read more
  15. Walk 170 m / 2 minutes

    Haus der Sieben Faulen Building

    The House of the Seven Lazy Brothers (German: Haus der Sieben Faulen) is a historic building in Bremen, Germany, completed in 1927. With a name based on a local legend, the building located in Böttcherstraße in the old town was built by the prosperous coffee merchant Ludwig Roselius to a design by Bremen architects Eduard Scotland and Alfred Runge. The first version of the house was home to the advertising department of Roselius's coffee company and the Deutscher Werkbund association of craftsmen. When it was rebuilt in 1954 the new design was based on a traditional local story. == Background == Crafted by Bernhard Hoetger, the Fountain of the Seven Lazy Brothers bordering the 1954 rebuild of the house was based on a legend about the sons of a local farmer who were considered lazy as they could find no work in Bremen.

    Read more
  16. Walk 20 m / less than minute

    Paula-Modersohn-Becker-Museum Museum

    The Paula Modersohn-Becker Museum in Bremen, Germany, is the first museum in the world devoted to a female artist. Modersohn-Becker (1876–1907) was one of the most important early Expressionists, and the museum features key works from each of her creative periods. == History == Construction of the museum was commissioned by the businessman and art patron Ludwig Roselius, who assigned the sculptor, craftsman and architect Bernhard Hoetger to design it. Hoetger had become acquainted with Modersohn-Becker while in Paris, and created a unique Brick Expressionist building in her memory. Opened in 1927, the museum now counts as one of the key works of expressionist architecture in Germany.

    Read more
  17. Walk 30 m / less than minute

    Haus St. Petrus Building

    St Petrus House (German: Haus St. Petrus) is a historic building in Bremen, Germany. With features of North-German Gothic architecture including an arcade, it was built in 1927 by the prosperous coffee merchant Ludwig Roselius as part of his development of Böttcherstraße. Today its newly refurbished dining rooms are part of the Atlantic Grand Hotel. Since 1973, St Petrus House has been a listed building.

    Read more
  18. Walk 10 m / less than minute

    Ludwig Roselius Museum Museum

    The Ludwig Roselius Museum (German: Museum im Roselius-Haus) on Böttcherstraße in the old town of Bremen, Germany, houses the private collection of the successful coffee merchant Ludwig Roselius (1874–1943). Artefacts from the Middle Ages to the Baroque period are on display. The house itself which was completed in 1588 has a history going back to the 14th century. == Background == The Roselius House which was completed in 1588 rests on foundations which appear to date from the 14th century, making it the oldest house on the historic Böttcherstraße which since the Middle Ages has linked the city's market square to the Weser. In 1902, Ludwig Roselius managed to purchase the centrally located No. 4.

    Read more
  19. Walk 30 m / less than minute

    Robinson-Crusoe-Haus Building

    Robinson Crusoe House (German: Robinson-Crusoe-Haus) is a stepped-gabled house on Böttcherstraße in the old town district of Bremen, Germany. It was built by the prosperous coffee merchant Ludwig Roselius who admired the pioneering spirit of Daniel Defoe's fictional hero Robinson Crusoe. == History and architecture == In 1931, the Robinson Crusoe House and the Atlantis House opposite completed the construction of buildings in Böttcherstraße. The coffee merchant Ludwig Roselius, who envisioned and financed the Böttcherstraße project, had himself proposed the design which was developed by Karl von Weihe. The interior was designed by the architects Eduard Scotland and Alfred Runge.

    Read more
  20. Walk 110 m / 1 minute

    Martinikirche Church

    The St. Martin's Church (German: St. Martini) is a Protestant Lutheran church in the old town of Bremen. It is located near the Weser river and is one of the oldest churches in the city. == History == The church was founded in 1229.

    Read more
  21. Walk 150 m / 2 minutes

    Alexander von Humboldt Attraction

    Alexander von Humboldt is a German sailing ship originally built in 1906 by the German shipyard AG Weser at Bremen as the lightship Reserve Sonderburg. She was operated throughout the North and Baltic Seas until being retired in 1986. Subsequently, she was converted into a three masted barque by the German shipyard Motorwerke Bremerhaven and was re-launched in 1988 as Alexander von Humboldt. In 2011 the ship was taken off sail-training and sent to the Caribbean for the charter business, then she was converted to a botel her sailing days over for now and is currently stationed in Bremen, Germany == History == Planned and ordered in 1906 as a reserve lightvessel (to stand in for other lightvessels during scheduled yard maintenance), the ship was launched on 10 September 1906 at AG Weser with the yard number 155 as the first of its class. Its hull was that of a sailing ship, as was common in this class, with the beacon mast in place of the main mast.

    Read more
  22. Walk 1.0 km / 15 minutes
  23. Walk 1.5 km / 21 minutes

    Überseemuseum Museum

    The Overseas Museum in Bremen (German: Übersee Museum Bremen) is a Natural History and ethnographic museum in northern Germany. In an integrated exhibition of Nature, Culture and Trading, the museum presents aspects of overseas regions with permanent exhibitions relating to Asia, South Pacific/Oceania, Americas and Africa. Since 1993, the building itself is protected by the monument protection act. == History == In 1875, the collections of the Bremen Natural History Society became the property of the city of Bremen under the name "Municipal Collections of Natural History and Ethnography", the library of the society having been given to the city in 1872. == Directors == 1887 to 1933 Hugo Schauinsland, zoologist, 1933 to 1945 Carl Friedrich Roewer (1881–1963), zoologist, 1950 to 1962 Helmuth O. Wagner (1897–1977), ornithologist 1962 to 1971 Hermann Friedrich (1906–1997), biologist 1971 to 1975 Herbert Abel (1911–1994), 1975 to 1992 Herbert Ganslmayr (1937–1991), ethnologist 1992 to 2001 Viola König (born 1952), from 2002 Wiebke Ahrndt (born 1963), == References == von Briskorn,Bettina 2000 Zur Sammlungsgeschichte afrikanischer Ethnographica im Übersee-Museum Bremen, 1841-1945 Bremen : Übersee-Museum Bremen, 2000.

    Read more
  24. Walk 750 m / 11 minutes

    Focke-Windkanal Museum

    Focke's wind tunnel is a fully operational wind tunnel in the former private laboratory of the aviation pioneer Henrich Focke (1890–1979), co-founder of Focke-Wulf and designer of the first fully controllable helicopter, the Focke-Wulf Fw 61. Henrich Focke built the laboratory in 1960 at the age of 70 in the city of Bremen. Until shortly before his death, in 1979, Focke continued aerodynamic studies in slow flight characteristics and the stability problem of helicopters. The rediscovery of his aerodynamic laboratory, together with its wind tunnel was regarded as a sensation for science and technology. Since 2004, the technical monument Focke Flight Laboratory is protected by law.

    Read more
  25. Walk 990 m / 14 minutes

    Wilhelm Wagenfeld Haus Museum

    Wilhelm Wagenfeld House (German: Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Haus) is a design museum and exhibition centre in Bremen, Germany. Completed in the Neoclassical style in 1828, the building now carries the name of Bremen-born Wilhelm Wagenfeld (1900–1990), a major contributor to the 20th-century design of household objects. In addition to a collection of Wagenfeld's creations, the building hosts temporary design exhibitions. It is located in Bremen's Old Town (Altstadt) close to the Kunsthalle Bremen art museum. == History and architecture == The Gerhard Marcks House opposite and this building were designed by Friedrich Moritz Stamm.

    Read more


Routes nearby

Please sign in

This action requires you to sign in into your account

Sign in